Jackson, MS – Today, Commissioner of Insurance and State Fire Marshal Mike Chaney is sending out an alert that Mississippi residents need to be aware of unauthorized alarm salesmen operating in the state.
About this time every year, we see an increase in reports of unauthorized individuals selling alarm systems in the area. If someone comes to your door trying to sell an alarm system, they must have a license and photo ID issued by the State Fire Marshal’s Office. Ask them to show you these credentials,” Chaney said.
The sale, installation, and monitoring of all residential alarm systems in Mississippi are regulated by the Mississippi State Fire Marshal’s Office, per the Mississippi Electronic Protection Licensing Act passed by the state legislature in 2006.
An important part of the licensing process includes criminal background checks on those who sell and install these systems as well as requiring these individuals to have the proper training to ensure competency.
Be especially cautious of the following:
- Offers that promise a “free” system or claims that your current system is old, out of date or in need of an upgrade or replacement.
- Claims that your home has been chosen as a “model” home and is eligible for a free system and/or reduced monitoring fee.
- Guarantees that you will receive a reduction in your homeowner’s insurance when a system is purchased.
- Salespersons that come to your home claiming to be with your current company. Call your company and verify.
- Claims that your company has gone out of business or that your account has been purchased from your company. Call your company and verify.
- Claims of increased crime in your neighborhood. Call your local police and verify.
Chaney added that if the individual is unable to produce such an ID, that person may not be licensed or authorized to operate in the state and should be reported to the State Fire Marshal at 1-888-648-0877 or 601-359-1061. If the individual acts in a suspicious manner, you should contact local law enforcement authorities. If the individual is in a vehicle, write down and report the license tag number.
Donna J. Cromeans
Public Relations Director
Mississippi Insurance Department
Cell – (601)-826-9600